30 Days of Little L - Day 1

Day 1 - A recent picture of you, and 15 interesting facts.


No makeup, no lighting, no nothing. Okay, maybe a wee cooling filter because I like the way it makes the picture look like it's printed on newspaper. Sort of. But it's not hiding anything. Look at those laugh lines! Which brings me to my first interesting fact!

1. I love getting older. Watching my face change and noticing each new gray hair fills me with an excitement I really did not expect. 

2. I am absolutely a crazy cat lady. I love cats more than any other creature on the planet. I talk to my cats more than I talk to humans. This is supposed to be a bad thing, but I really feel like I'm living my best life.

3. Cooking for people gives me that feeling you get when you birth your first child and hand it to your parents for inspection. Eat the fruit of my uterus! Only not really. Ew. Too far, Lil. Too far. 

4. When it's just Big and me, I have a tendency to sing-narrate what I'm doing, or sing what I wanted to say to him, or just sing gibberish. I dance for no reason. And when I get anxious, I beep or boop or shananananana or whatever pops in my head. Somehow, I manage to control my ticks when I'm in public. 

5. I have trouble separating background noise from the things I'm supposed to be listening to. I haven't been tested for hearing loss since high school, and I've since worked on the floor of a plywood factory and been to multiple concerts and music festivals, so I'm sure I've got at least some hearing loss. Regardless, if there's a particularly loud vehicle (we live on a state route) going by when we're in the living room, and Big is facing away from me, hearing what he said just isn't going to happen.

6. I pick/chew off my nail polish when I'm nervous. If my nails aren't painted, I chew off my nails. And when I run out of nail to chew, I start chewing the skin off the sides of my fingers. If my nails are even, shaped, and the polish isn't chipped, I don't do any of those things. 

7. Instead, I play with my hair. Maybe I should have gotten in on that whole fidget spinner trend, after all. 

8. I love stuffed animals. Particularly non-traditional stuffed animals. Dragons, unicorns, body parts, mutants, monsters...if it's weird and plush, I'm probably into it. 

9. I separate M&Ms and Skittles into colors, and eat them in even numbers starting with the group with the least candies in it. 

10. I really, Really, REALLY want a chameleon. I would keep him in the office, and love him, and hug him, and call him George. Okay, I wouldn't really hug him. Unless he was into that. And George is a weird name for a chameleon. A better name would be Vermillion. Or Rosé. Or maybe Charles. 

11. I also really want a dog, but I'm scared to have a dog because I've had dogs before, and I wasn't very good at taking care of them. I wasn't the sole pet owner, so I wasn't the only one to blame, but I was the only one who ever did anything around the house, so when I agreed to take in the dogs, I should have considered that, but I didn't. If Big and I get a dog, I will be signing the dog and me (and maybe Big if he has the time to go) up for doggy school so the dog can learn life saving commands, and I can learn how to tell when the dog has to go peepee because I feel like my previous dogs and I would have gotten along a whole lot better if we'd had some sort of system instead of them just copping a squat whenever they had to go. And I know that's my fault. Which is why I'm scared to have a dog. (Why I don't have the dogs anymore is a super long story that ultimately ends with, "they were better off in the homes I found for them than they were with me." I'm not proud of it, but there it is.)

12. I have not seen a single episode of Dr. Who. Wtf is wrong with me, right? I plan to rectify that this year. With or without Big. 

13. I was adopted by my cousin, so every time Big says, "Bob's your uncle," I reply, "And my cousin." And it's true. My adopted mother's brother's name is Bob, which makes him biologically my cousin and legally my uncle. 

14. While riding a motorcycle without a helmet, my biological mother was killed by a drunk driver when I was 14 months old. While riding a bicycle without a helmet, my biological father was killed in a hit and run when I was 14 years old. It's probably the weirdest coincidence I've experienced to date.  

15. I'm in a heterosexual relationship, but I identify as pansexual, and have recently begun referring to myself as "queer af." No, that doesn't mean I'm aroused by pans. It means that gender doesn't play a role in my arousal.

This was way harder to write than it should have been. I really have gotten out of practice when it comes to writing about myself. Huh. 

Happy New Year! I hope your 2018 is full of life, love, and laughter, and you find whatever it is you're looking for. Me? I'm looking for a more united country, and a whole lot less hatred. Here's hoping I get it, eh? 💜

This series inspired by a writing challenge from Living Off Love and Coffee. Find the full list here.

Comments