30 Days of Little L - Day 27

Day 27 - Why are you doing this 30 day challenge? 

Arts Crawl 11.20.09kellywritershouse
So, not too long ago, I decided I wanted to do something a little more personal that I'm passionate about. 

You'd think talking about your sex life with your husband online would be pretty personal and passion inducing, and for a while, it was. (Our sex life is still passion inducing, btw.) But after fourteen years of it, it was less so. I always wrote whatever I wanted there, until I didn't anymore. I stopped trying to educate organically with stories of my own life, and started using book definitions and making community agreed upon suggestions. I stopped writing erotica in favor of sex education. And then I started to feel like I couldn't talk about anything else. 

I tried to break out of that, but by that point, most people were there for the new format. They didn't care about the behind the scenes. They didn't care that I was going out of my mind. 

I don't fault them for it. I'm not always the easiest person to get along with, and I don't do the whole friend thing well. My social anxiety makes me question everyone's motives for every little thing they do, and convinces me that none of them actually like me. And then, eventually I stop talking to them, or I say something stupid, or...something. And I'm not here to tell people who or what they should care about. (Okay, that's only sort of true. Because I definitely have feels about what you should care about. But that's another post for another day.)

I decided that if I was going to do something personal that I'm passionate about, I needed to start a new blog, and build a new audience who actually wants to read that stuff.

Of course, leave it to me to wait until people stop reading blogs the way they used to. 

New blog needs new content and I'm still trying to figure out what that looks like. So what better way to kickstart the project than a writing challenge that forces me to take a look at myself and the new blog? 

And hell...which of us doesn't need to take a step back and take a look at ourselves in the mirror, once in a while, and decide which way they should go next? 

This series inspired by a writing challenge from Living Off Love and Coffee. Find the full list here.

Comments