Spicey

I'm a bit of a home chef. I mean, maybe I suck at it, but Big really likes my food, and I'm always disappointed when we eat out because I usually like my cooking better. I use homemade spice blends, which I'm pretty proud of, even if some of them aren't my own. So I figured I'd share three of my favorites with you.

The directions for making all of these are, mix it up, throw it in a container, and use at your own discretion.

Most people will suggest that you let the spices sit together for a day or so before you use them, but I'm not that organized. I'm forever waiting until the moment before I need them to make them when we've run out. I really only notice a difference if I use the seasoned salt or Emeril's to season fried fries (as opposed to oven fries, which I make more often) right after I've mixed them. I assume that's because the spices mingle when I'm cooking them in other things, and they don't have the chance to do that when I'm just throwing them on already cooked fries.

Seasoned Salt

1/4 c iodized salt (or whatever table salt/salt substitute you use)
4 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper

This is my own recipe. I started with a recipe I found online, but it was so long ago, I have no idea where I found it. And the recipe I settled on and now use is different, so I'm not even sure it matters. 


2 1/2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp black powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp dried leaf oregano
1 tbsp dried thyme

Emeril Lagasse has a few spice blend recipes on Food Network's site. You can find some at the link above. This is his Creole seasoning, and it's my absolute favorite. I choose to make my own rather than buy it because it tastes different to me than the store bought and I prefer the homemade flavor. Most grocery stores have a shelf with cheap essential spices (around $1 a bottle), and I'm a miser, so that's what I use. Maybe it would be better with the more expensive, so-called "quality" spices, but I wouldn't know. You do still have to add salt when cooking with it; especially if you're using it to, say, season french fries...which, by the way, is heaven.

Taco Seasoning 

1/4 c chili powder
3 tbsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp black pepper

To develop this recipe, I started with this taco seasoning recipe on The Pioneer Woman.

I don't remember where I heard it, but one day, I heard that there's silica in store bought taco seasoning. You know...the stuff in that little packet that comes with your shoes and says, "DO NOT EAT!" So the next time I wanted to make tacos, I looked at the package of seasoning I usually use, and sure enough! There's silica in it. And I thought, "Well, why can I eat it in my spices but not out of my shoebox?" and Big said, "It's probably not harmful in small quantities," and I said, "Fuck that. We're not eating silica anymore."

When I'm making tacos, I usually add 2-3 tablespoons of this mix and a couple tablespoons of water to about a pound of meat.

Let me know how you like these if you try them!


Comments