Accountability and Setting March's Goals

So.

February is mostly a bust. Which sounds like me beating myself up for not making my goals, but it's not. It's just me being honest.

In the interest of being honest, I have to admit that when I wrote Nosedive, I was definitely beating myself up for not making my goals.

I'm not anymore. It sucks, and I wish I had tried harder, but sometimes shit just doesn't happen, ya know? Life goes on. I'll get through it.

February's Goals
1 - Learn to be honest with myself about what I can accomplish in a month and follow through on my goals. 
I feel pretty good about this one. I mean, I didn't make my goals, but I feel like, in a perfect month (i.e one where kids who survived the slaughter of their classmates and teachers weren't having to defend themselves against people who care more about their guns than they do children's lives) I could have accomplished all of them. And I feel like I'm being much more realistic about what I can accomplish in my day-to-day. Like, there are days where I'm like, "I'm going to deep clean the whole kitchen, and then the bathroom, and then vacuum and mop everywhere, and then clean the bedroom, and clean out my closet, and..." and then, at the end of the day, I've gotten the kitchen cleaned, and a couple loads of laundry, but I haven't even looked at the vacuum, and the mop is still in the closet, and the only time I was in the bathroom was when I was using it. I haven't folded laundry in a month. A MONTH! Anyway, I did that a lot less this month. And the few times I caught myself doing it, I was like, "You know you're not going to get all of that finished," and I adjusted my daily goals.

2 - Get better at time management (i.e. spend less time on Twitter).
I 100% failed at this one. I haven't looked away from Twitter all month. I've tried. But even when we're playing ARK, I've got my iPad beside me so I can check Twitter while I'm waiting for things to craft, or dinosaurs to tame, or whatever. Speaking of ARK, I am obsessed. It's becoming an issue. There have been a couple of days when I didn't do anything at all because I was too busy taming dinosaurs. Also, I have a dodo problem. And a dodo type.



3 - Edit part 2. 
Well...I did get it edited, so I'm calling this done. Of course, as soon as I finished editing, I decided I didn't like where it ended, and I think I might be scrapping the short story series plan. So...

4 - At least 30 minutes of exercise five out of seven days. 
This didn't happen. This didn't even get close to happening. I went so long between days I exercised that my body felt like someone ran it over with a steamroller. So it goes back on the goal list until it happens.

5 - Eat less junk and cut out soda
I don't think I had any soda in February. Wine, and tequila sunrises...but no soda. I could be misremembering, though. I've considered keeping a food diary because who can remember what they've eaten all month? As for less junk, I failed at that. I got better toward the end of the month, though. After I wrote Nosedive. I let some baked goods that I'd made go to waste, and I'm kinda annoyed with myself about that, but it had to be done.

***Bonus: Don't beat myself up if I don't make a goal.
I did pretty good with this one. There were a couple of days that I was really hard on myself, but they were few and far between.


March's Goals
1. Get better at time management (i.e. spend less time on Twitter, get things done before playing ARK). 
I will conquer this.

2. At least 30 minutes of exercise five out of seven days. 
I can do this. I just need to keep my head in the game.

3. Less junk; no soda. 
I'm leaving the no soda thing because it needs to continue to be a goal until it becomes habit.

4. Finish the raven painting tutorial. 
I think I've finished the background, but I can't decide if I'm saying that because I don't want to buy more blue paint, or what. Like, how dumb is that? I've loved painting. I can't wait to do another painting. I'm probably going to do another raven tutorial by the same woman. I think it's supposed to be sunrise or sunset. It's beautiful. I can't wait to start it. But I need to finish this one first. Which means I need to order more blue paint.

5. Try to put in at least a thousand words a weekday on IACDTZ. 
This is ambitious. I mean, I'm writing this on March 2, and I have no intentions of working on IACDTZ today. Mostly because Big worked into the wee hours of the morning, and only got up an hour late, and I woke up a lot through the night, and I am miserable today. Everything hurts and I can barely keep my eyes open. I'm not really sure how I've gotten through this post, and it's not even anything difficult to write.

***Bonus: Be nice to myself. 
Shit happens. Own it. Apologize when you can. Move on. The past can't haunt you if you don't let it. (Thanks, Kesha.)

💜

Comments